Thursday, December 27, 2007

On Christmas Time

I hope everyone is having a great time during the Christmas period, no matter their culture celebrates Christmas or not. In Chinese culture, we don't. But being so far from home in this fairy land called Great Britain, I couldn't help myself to get some Christmas spirit on. Therefore, it has totally nothing to do with my laziness that I have been almost motionless in my room and living on all kinds of junk food and takeaways.

Chinese doesn't celebrate Christmas, traditionally. But a little bird called ‘Economical Globalisation’ has brought everything about Christmas to China. During Christmas time, every single street in the city is playing this big Christmas extravaganza. Young people find a good reason to go out and drink their head off, most of who have no idea of what Christmas is celebrating. That's why I almost blanked out when I heard a tiny piece of news on six o'clock at the Christmas Eve afternoon on BBC 1: ‘if you are celebrating Christmas this year in China, you can get arrested’. How much have those young people been drinking, or the BBC 1 editors?

I was on the phone with my parents that day and my father reminded me a little Christmas tale. I was only about seven back then. We started to have English class in primary school that time so we read this thing about Christmas and Santa. We knew nothing about it but some nice old man giving out free gifts. I told that to my parents and I got so excited that year's Christmas time. Of course no one in my class believed any thing about Santa but my mother told me that if I put my socks at the head of the bed, I could get gifts from Santa, who would put the gifts in the socks. I put a clean pair of socks there before I went to bed and I found they filled up in the morning I woke up. I can still remember how excited I was. There was a card on the floor as well, written in English with a foreign stamp at the corner. I rushed into my parent's room and woke them all up. They said it must've been Santa. Then I told everybody in my class. No one believed me. I showed them the card and they couldn't care less. But that didn't spoil my exciting mood. And for the following few years, Santa visited me every time. The socks were filled with all kinds of gifts every time, although the only one I can remember is a can of coke because the sock looked so stuffed. A card with foreign stamp came with gifts every time as well.

Of course, it had been my mother. She was in English training herself back then and knew a few friends from states. That must be how she got hold of those stamps. I didn't suspect it at all until I was too old to believe Santa when I was about twelve or so. But even now, I can still remember how happy I was when I opened my eyes and thought Santa just visited. What a nice piece of sweet memory!

No comments:

[Homepage] ----- [Gallery] ----- [Guest Book] ----- [Yang's Blog Lab]