Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Dilemma

I haven't written anything here for a while. I was so busy at research for a while, haven't even been sleeping much, and now I have to take a break from all those AI stuff. So what should I write today? I have too many things in my mind that I even find it hard to put something down as a start.
Well, I will have a very relaxing week, no hard working and enjoy a long weekend. This PhD thing is certainly driving me crazy. I think maybe I should just marry the little dumb metal box I have got, by which I mean the little robot I have in the lab. But in another way, it is addictive. The feeling of success is incomparable very time I manage to finish something there. Ah, I guess life is all about dilemma. Every time we face one, we have to choose one side to go. It is gambling really. No matter how rational we claim ourselves choice to be, it is still gambling. Most of us will say that facing a dilemma is one of the things that they hate. But maybe deep in our nature, we are addictive to it, like many of us are addictive to gambling. It is the choice, by knowing choosing one side meaning losing the other side, makes this exciting. The ending is always unknown into a degree. Surprises can always double the happiness, and unfortunately, the same applies to the sadness.
So we all gamble in life. Things barely happen in the way that you can expect. Being random is the rule of the physical world and chaos is the basic of matter. A very interesting Finnish friend of mine claims that he can always find the optimistical sides in a dilemma. Well, I doubt it. If you can see the optimistical sides of both or all the choices facing a problem, it does not really do anything as it won't help to shift the weights among the choices but just give you a feeling that no matter what you choose won't hurt you. Does this have something similar to the so called "beggar's attitude"? A dilemma is a cross road where you have to and you can only go into one directions, all of which are one way road.
For thousands of years, human beings are suffering from the fact that they HAVE TO CHOOSE. In order to remove some of the pressure of deciding our own fate, we developed many tools. Tarot, horoscope etc. are all on the list. Why are we so scared of doing the decision of our own lives? Thinking that the right of doing our own choice has been a fight of every nation for so many years, the intention of asking some unknown force to help us while using such a right is very ironic. Personally, I do have a deck of TAROT and playing it is great fun. There are times that I wish those printed coloured cards can be believable. I am wondering the reason...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, how many of us have seen Windows 1.04? A friend of mine did a 5 minutes demonstration on his lovely old IBM 5160 XT which was launched 25 five years ago. Have a look of the ancestor of your Windows. Anyway, here is the link on YouTube, just click to watch it: Win 1.04 Demo
The picutre at the right is the picture of the PC. Cool piece, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That IBM XT looks very familiar to me!! hehe

YANG said...

yea, I get it from a friend who is much cooler that you :p

[Homepage] ----- [Gallery] ----- [Guest Book] ----- [Yang's Blog Lab]