Friday, April 06, 2007

Japanese Style RPGs

Since Forest gave me his old PS2 console, I am trying to get myself addicted on it so I can get my computer free. As some useful backgroup here, I am a crazy Asian game player that is crazy about Asain style Role Playing Game (RPG). Ok, maybe I should extend the backgroup a little bit more.

Asian style RPG probably is not a correct term. The gaming culture of east Asian is largely driven by China, Janpan and Soth Korea. In the case of RPG they all have developed their own uniquenesses. However, having the fact that Japan is the most develpped society there, it gives no surprise that all other Asian RPG styles are in fact a diversion from Japanese RPGs. Thus I prefere the term Japanese style RPG to Asian style RPG.

So, here comes the thing, it is so hard to find any good Japanese style RPG here in UK on PS2. If you are still not clear about what kind of RPG I am talking about, here is a hit: Final Fantacy (FF) serious. So I bought it, FF XII, the big hit from SONY. After 50 hours of playing, I have to admit it is indeed a complete show-off of SONY's technology. They have almost boosted PS's ability to the edge. Stunning computational graphics, movie standard CG, prefessional music. But still I can't help to ask meself one question: what is this game? If you still remeber the first time FF make the biggest hit on PS, or even the FFX on PS2, you will find FF XII is so different. The previous tow are pure and real Japanese style RPG. But even by saying FF XII is a combination of both Japanese and western styles will be flatering it. It's like a Dragon & Dungeon (D&D) such as Baldur's Gate.

I liked Baldur's Gate 1&2. I liked Never Winter Night too. Because by playing those games, you set yourself to be saticfied by the maximum of virtual killing, treasure hunting and it is great fun. But when I am playing Japanese style RPG, I am expecting something else and FF XII ended up disapointing me.

The beauty of Japanese style RPG is that it is like abother form of film or book. It has a very strong story line and the whole game tells you this story. By finishing a good game of such, you end up so touched by the charectors of the game, by the vivid narrative of the story itself. It is like reading a good book or watching a good film but by being actually a part of the story. It is not fair to say FF XII does not have a good story line setting. It has but the story line gets much simpler than before, even than FF X. Maybe it because SONY finally decided that it is the westerners' money it wants. After over 50 hours of playing, I felt nothing but tired, but I am sill shocked by how advance SONY's techonolgies can go. The story was told so pale. Though I am sure it had a big music group, after playing I can't recall a single tune.


So, I will have to stick to my computer for a while because one of the greatest Japanese RPGs will finally be released on its newwst Chinese version on computer. The Legend of Heroes 6: Second Chapter (ED6:SC). ED serious became famous on its third one: ProphercyMoon Light Witch (no idea why the picture I have says it is the second). That was 1996. ED4: A Tear of Vermillion, also became one of the biggest classic (they both have the PSP remake now as shown in the images, but how good are those remakes are? You are the judge). The newest of the family includes two games. The Legend of Heores 6: Sora no Kiseki (literally the trace of time) and Sora no Kiseki: SC. Of course, Falcom, the company, is no competition of SONY. It has no stuningly good CG to tell the story. But the use of its music is so amazing. Compared to SONY, professionals will say Falcom's music is bold, normal and less refined. It is jsut like everyday tune. But it is only because of that, you can sing a little bit to yourself on your home and each piece of its music gives a vivd image of that piece of the story. I think I don't need to comment on the stroy line itself as there are lots on the web but it is just good, and the game play is great fun too. As I have said, it's like reading a great book by being a part of it. Compared to ED6, FF XII is more like a BLOCKBUSTER movie with lots of special effects and big investment but The Legend of Heores is more like something you can really enjoy again and again and again. Even if you stop playing, you will keep telling its story. Now, that is a game I am talking about.

No comments:

[Homepage] ----- [Gallery] ----- [Guest Book] ----- [Yang's Blog Lab]